Thursday, April 24, 2008




It's flea market season here in the Pioneer Valley with the opening of what I think is the best outdoor flea market around, the Hadley market on Route 47 under the shadow of Mount Holyoke and the historic Summit House.

These were two of my finds last Sunday. It's too bad I didn't obtain these cards for the Springfield postcard book (to be published Aug. 25!)

In 1936 there was a "perfect storm" of melting snow, ice dams and rain that accounted for the worst flood in our area in recent memory. Northampton, Hadley and downtown Springfield were greatly affected. WGBY did an excellent documentary on the flood which is available here and is a bargain at $20.

If you have an elderly relative from here ask them about the flood. I bet they'll have some vivid memories.

© 2008 by Gordon Michael Dobbs

1 comment:

SRBissette said...

Hey, Mike, great finds!

The floods of 1927, '36 and '38 (the latter a hurricane that hammered much of Connecticut to Maine) were indeed legendary, and I've found many pix, postcards and commemorative books on each in the fleas. Good picking, amigo, and I'm aching for flea market season up here -- which, alas, I fear I'll not be indulging in this year due to $$ and gas costs.