Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Politics is almost as fun as show business to cover. There are a lot of the same values there: illusion, importance of form over content, etc.

Of course so far I can't recall anyone in show business who has started a war.

The best thing about political reporting is the punditry. There are multitudes of talking heads who drone on and on in a growing number of venues with their interpretation of facts and predictions.

Factual reporting is great. Analysis is just gas three-quarters of the time.

But I like this website as it handicaps the candidates like a horse race.

Here is what they have to say about our empty suit and a haircut governor Mitt Romney who dropped from second to fourth place:

"It's easy to be a front runner when you're not really running yet. But with his recent announcement that he's definitely a one-termer in Massachussetts, the speculation can end. He's in, kids, and now the real fun begins. Can the dashing governor and Olympic hero withstand the bright spotlight on his record, religion and his reportedly mixmash positions on abortion? If so, expect to see him run well into the final stretch."

Mitt is a lousy governor who clearly used the position as a stepping stone to the national arena. He's a rich, fairly glib, good-looking guy with not a frickin' clue what the working person faces here in this state. I've been at press conferences and events covering him and he has never truly impressed me. I only voted for him because I didn't want the hack running for the other party to get in.

The number one Republican right now? Senator George Allen. The number one Dem? Hillary Clinton.

Boy I hope these guys are just gasbags and not Kreskin!

1 comment:

Mark Martin said...

I hate the "horse race" mentality. There are actually people - not YOU, Mikey, I understand where you are coming from - but some people, and I think a lot, get consciously or subconsciuosly caught up in the horse race mentality and want to be on the "winning side". They actually vote for who they think will win, not who is the best man. I know this is a fact with a couple of low-IQ people I know, and I suspect it is a fact with others of varying IQs.