Monday, September 15, 2008

Last week was very busy, so I apologize for not posting more. I'll make it up this week.

With the presidential election now in full swing, I can't help but be saddened by what I see as an obscuring of the issues by the most paper-thin rhetoric and manipulation.

McCain and/or his advisers were brilliant in selecting freshman Governor Sarah Palin because she manages to hit a lot of buttons that McCain apparently couldn't hit. What grimly fascinates me is as economic problems continue to affect more and more people and institutions in the country, the emphasis has not been on Pailin's experience, but rather that she is a "normal" person with "real American values" – what ever that is and whatever those are.

She hunts. She's a beauty pageant contestant. She's pro-life. She's a Christian of sorts. She doesn't know much about foreign policy stuff, although she is the commander of the Alaska National Guard and is next door to Russia – sort of.

All of the folks who embrace her seem to forget a couple of things:

The folks backing McCain are the same who backed Bush. McCain and Palin will not be agents of change as they are packaging themselves. They won't be allowed.

While Palin was the mayor of a small town of 7,000 people – which had its own Washington lobbyist – McCain was in the Senate where for the past eight years his maverick change agent role was confronted with the harsh reality of his voting record – he's a Bush neocon supporter.

Constitutional conservatives should be appalled that McCain will undoubtedly carry on the same fiscal polices as Bush – the national debt is getting deeper and deeper.

All of the Republicans who laugh off the issue of her local of experience would be gnashing their teeth and frothing if the Dems had picked a freshman governor such as our own Deval Patrick. The hypocrisy is overwhelming.

By the way could someone please show in the Bible a text where Jesus condones a preemptive attack and killing of woman and children? Please explain to me how the Iraqi War jives with Christian theology?

So this is what I hope to hear from both candidates:

What they are going to do about keeping American jobs here.

Getting rid of NAFTA, which has failed to help US workers.

If they are going to stop illegal immigration by closing down the illegal jobs those folks hold.

If they are dedicated to helping re-tool this country into a green economy.

How they are going to end the War on Terror.

Whether or not either will be returning to a Constitutional-based government.

I want specifics. I want facts. I don't give a flying crap about dogma, photo ops, lipstick on a pig, fake indignation, what someone is wearing, endorsements from people supporting the status quo, whether or not someone is wearing a flag lapel pin.

I'm pissed. This country is approaching a state of despair it hasn't seen since the Depression.

© 2008 by Gordon Michael Dobbs

8 comments:

Mark Martin said...

Just letting you know I read it.

Mark Martin said...

OK, I'm back. Since you specifically asked me to read the post, I wanted to let you know as soon as I read it.

Now I will address REAL ISSUES!!!

"I apologize for not posting more."
No prob!

"paper-thin rhetoric and manipulation."
I agree, but I see it on both sides.

"the emphasis has not been on Pailin's experience, but rather that she is a "normal" person with "real American values""
Like that right there. You only see that on one side?

"The folks backing McCain are the same who backed Bush. McCain and Palin will not be agents of change as they are packaging themselves. They won't be allowed."
But Obama will be "allowed" by the Democrat power machine?

"the harsh reality of his voting record – he's a Bush neocon supporter."
And Obama has the - what is it, second most liberal voting record? Something like that.

"the national debt is getting deeper and deeper."
You may have a point there. But I don't blame Bush (or the infamous "neocons") exclusively. The entire system is corrupt. Can McCain/Palin change it? Can Obama/Biden?

"The hypocrisy is overwhelming."
Again, you have a point. But you don't see overwhelming hypocrisy on both sides? I certainly do.

"Please explain to me how the Iraqi War jives with Christian theology?"
And you'll explain how abortion jives with Christian theology? (NOW HEAR THIS! I'm not a flaming anti-abortionist! I just think your war theology question is as extreme as a rabid abortionist's abortion question.)

"So this is what I hope to hear from both candidates:"
Finally you hold each side equally responsible. HOORAY!

"I'm pissed."
Clearly!

"This country is approaching a state of despair it hasn't seen since the Depression."
Possibly.

This is neither here nor there, I'm just dying to know: What do you think of John Edwards now?

Mike Dobbs said...

Yes, Obama doesn't have the experience I want. He wasn't my candidate. But I can't vote for a guy who has supported Bush's policies.

You don't want to address Palin's lack of experience, do you?

I think there is a greater chance Obama might be allowed to do things for change if we have a Democratic Congress...see what a Republican prez and Congress have done for years?

What's wrong with a liberal voting record?

Not assigning blame to Bush and the Republicans for deepening the national debt: so when he proposed spending bills and the Republican congress approved them, who is to blame?

Naturally you're the only one with clear vision. I couldn't possibly have such opinions even though I do cover local politics and see this kind of thing every freakin' day up close and personal.

Don't want to face up to the US killing non-combatants in Iraq? Yeah, that's a tough one to sqaure away with Jesus.

Oh so now welcome to the punishment part of the game where I'm supposed to crawl on my belly and admit I was wrong. Well, Edwards like Clinton is a huge disappointment. I've always said that about Clinton but you've always walked out of the room if I've brought up the subject. There happY?

becky said...

Good heavens. I think if you'll read what I say you'll see that I am in fact the one most likely to respect the other's opinions and give quarter.

I value your friendship too much to continue this.

SRBissette said...

"You may have a point there" -- ??? The national debt is at HISTORIC, UNPRECEDENTED proportions -- and to that debt, don't forget, you must ADD the surplus Bush squandered in his first four months in office. Basic math, my friends.

War questions extreme? Give me a break. The Iraq War was never justified, and has demonstrated how completely morally bankrupt the myth of 'pro-life' culture really, truly is.

I'm as patient as can be. But I'm 53, and I'm sick to death of the madness infecting our country.

Bring on a liberal President. PLEASE. 'Conservative' should be the dirtiest word in politics right now, based on the hard (very hard) experience of the past seven+ years.

We've been pretty thoroughly fucked-over by the GOP's 'conservative' stewardship. Another four years of that, and we'll be fucking our own fucked-over corpses.

Mike Dobbs said...

Becky?

Mark Martin said...

Yeah what the eff???
Who the hell is becky, and why is she squatting on my profile???

SRBissette said...

Mark. Becky. Whatever.