Sunday, July 27, 2008



I was searching for some animation graphics the other day and found these instead and instantly became nostalgic for UMass, which I attended from 1972 to 1976. The first is an original from Danny Guidera's comic strip that appeared in the "Daily Collegian' called "Nuke the Whales. Guidera was a very talented artist – I'm sure he still is; here is his Web site, I think – and his strips and political cartoons were a cut above the usual level that one found in a college newspaper.




This panel cartoon was done by a guy named McGilvray whose first name escapes me now. Again I always thought his work was superior to most student cartoonists, but he proved to be very controversial when he did a cartoon of Chancellor Randolph Bromery that some thought – including Bromery – was racist.

During my four years at UMass there were a number of cartoonist whose work appeared in the paper including Kris Jackson and Steve Lafler. The most famous cartoonist to come out of UMass is Peter Laird, co-creator of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

4 comments:

Tom said...

I remember some of those artists. Too bad you couldn't dig up more samples.

Mary E.Carey said...

Wow, I like his stuff a lot. I see the never-ending construction on campus goes back a long way. I wish someone would make it stop.

SRBissette said...

Very cool comics, Mike, thanks for posting 'em.

Unknown said...

The cartoonist's name is Don McGilvray. Does anyone know whatever happened to him? I recently dup up a handful of his old cartoons out of a file.