Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Indian Day 2012

I don't ride a bike, but I would like to and I love going to Indian Day each year at the Springfield Museums. If I ever hit the lottery, one of the first things I'd buy would be a classic restored Indian. I guess I would have to learn to ride.

The Indian was the first successful American "motocycle," and was made here in Springfield, Mass. from 1901 to 1953. It was a product of the incredible pool of engineering and manufacturing talent here in Pioneer Valley.

On Indian Day, Indian owners ride their vintage bikes to town and it's quite a sight to see – rolling history.

The classic bikes summon up a time and place in this country – before the Interstate when U.S. highways such as Routes 20, 5 and 66 were the principal roads linking this nation.

It was a time of mechanical innovation, when someone working in their garage could change the course of a product or invent a new one.

The following are some of the photos I took.









Have a hankering to bring an Indian back to life? The guy who had this 1946 model was asking only $12,000 and assured me the engine was in great shape as all of the parts were in boxes!


© 2012 by Gordon Michael Dobbs








No comments: