Friday, March 09, 2007


Getting Personal
You want personal? Here's a photo from our foster daughter's wedding reception of our dog, Lucky the Wonder Bichon, in his tux.

I've started a new blog, Animation Review (see the link over yonder) where I hope to build up a community of animation fans carping about the bad and touting the good in animation these days.

Why start another blog? Since I’m not a famous type whose fans hang on his or her most mundane of activities, I’ve seldom written about anything truly personal. I mean who the hell cares about me, my wife, our foster daughter and granddaughter, etc. except our family and circle of friends?

Hey I’m not on the cross here…I need the wood, too. I just don’t want to fall into the category of blogging that one of former staffers disparaged so much: personal stuff.

And because I work for a company sensitive about their image, I’ve been reluctant to write anything much about myself. There are always topics that I would like to explore that I cannot for fear of severe reactions from a variety of folks.

This year I will hit age 53 and I will have been a professional writer for 32 years. I’ve have been very lucky. I’ve interviewed people I’ve admired and have had the chance to work in radio, run a nationally distributed magazine and teach college classes. I’ve had a lot of fun. I’ve made crap for money, but I’ve had fun. And fun counts pretty large in life.

I’m on the downhill slide of my life span and I’ve got a lot of stuff I still need to accomplish. So, I’m trying to write more, set up a film festival and complete a couple of books.

So no trophy wife for me (I already have one of 28 years). No fancy car. No plastic surgery. No comb-over. My middle age mania is getting stuff transferred out of head and files and onto pages.

End of personal stuff. Check my four blogs regularly as new posts will pop up more often.

© 2007 by Gordon Michael Dobbs

1 comment:

SRBissette said...

FOUR fucking blogs? And you and Mark rip on ME?? You two are blog-whores! I can barely find time to read your one every week.

Speaking of which -- I knew if I waited him out, Mark would tip his hand on the fake Christian dating spam thingie he sent me. I really gotta play poker with you two -- I'd clean house!